Friday, January 1, 2016

First Book I am Reading in 2016 Blog Hop

This is my first time in the blog hop showing the first book we plan to read in 2016. Sheila at Book Journey set this blog hop up.
I will read "Christmas at Thompson Hall and Other Christmas Stories" by Anthony Trollope.
I read 9 of his books this year and look forward to this one with the theme of Christmas.
Why Trollope? I have a crush on this brilliant writer, who wrote 47 novels in the mid 1800s. I just discovered him in 2015.
The books I read by Anthony Trollope this year: The six novels in the Chronicles of Barsetshire. The Warden (a home for indigent old men run by a very kindly man). Barchester Towers. Doctor Thorne. (soon to be a 3 part tv show directed by Julian Fellowes, creator of Downton Abbey), Framley Parsonage, The Small House at Allington and The Last Chronicle of Barset.
The next 3 I read: Orley Farm, The Bertrams and The American Senator (who visits England and creates an uproar).
One thing I appreciate is that there is plenty of romance in his novels, often between very refined people, and you do not know for sure if the lovers will admit their love and marry, or if a tragedy or social conventions will intervene and they must part.
He also knows a lot about human nature and obsessions (whether over inheritance, social standing, fox hunting, clergy and politicians, grand estates and small country homes and the people who live there, and humble folk too).
Sunday, Jan. 3, 2016. I read the first story in this collection and laughed out loud on about page 40 especially concerning the mishap in the hotel room involving mustard. This story is fun and very light hearted. I told my husband it is perfect to read just before falling asleep at night. It sets the stage for good dreams.


24 comments:

Buttercup said...

This looks like fun. I think I need to jump in to this blog hop. Happy and healthy wishes!

donna baker said...

I am sorry to say I've never read Trollope. I must be missing out as I see many bloggers have read his works. I must read something of his. Have a good new year Terra.

JoAnn said...

I read the six Barsetshire books this year and loved them! Planned to read Christmas at Thompson Hall last week, but never got it. Hope you like it. I'm trying to decide on my next Trollope... Orley Farm is a possibility. Happy New Year!

DawnTreader said...

I am reading the Barchester series as well. Have got to The Small House at Allington.

Anonymous said...

I wwill look for this series, sounds very interesting!!

Best wishes,, Happy New Year!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Such a lovely cover, I wanted to buy this one earlier in the month but never did. Maybe next year. Wishing you a happy and healthy new year.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I need to see if the library has any of his books. He sounds like an author I would enjoy.

Happy 2016 ~ FlowerLady

Ivy and Elephants said...

Sounds like my kind of guy, his books sound intriguing.
Wishing you a happy and blessed new year!
Hugs,
Patti

Margaret D said...

Must be good books. Enjoy..

Jen Beaudet said...

Happy New Year, Terra! Enjoy the new book!:)

Dee said...

Happy New Year!

Debbie said...

i hope you enjoy the new book. i am not a reader (i have memory issues because of MS) but in 2016 i thought i would try once again. i just ordered a book on amazon....i wish i could remember the title. fingers crossed, i do think it is something i would enjoy!!!!

Sparky said...

Sounds lovely. Almost anything that has to do with Merry Ol' England is my kind of story, especially period pieces, medieval history and/or mysteries. I'll google the author and see if it's my cup of tea too. Thank you for the idea!
Hope your day is blessed. ~:)

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Sounds like a great thing to do and such a interesting story. Wishing you a happy and peaceful new year!

Scriptor Senex said...

I, too, love Trollope but I hadn't heard of this book. I think it can go on my Amazon wishlist for next Christmas.

LyzzyBee said...

I'm going to get this one for next Christmas! I got up to the end of Dr Thorne last year and will be pressing on through the rest this year - can't wait!

Carla from The River said...

Thank you...always appreciate book reviews.
Happy New Year,
Carla

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Terra,
One of my goals is to read more this year. I do love Christmas books and now that Christmas is actually over, I want to spend more time with your wonderful book.
Thanks so much for stopping by!!

Happy New Year!

Hugs,
Deb

Alan Burnett said...

I must confess to largely ignoring Trollope ever since I once tried reading one of his books years and years ago. At the time, it was the recommendation of someone whose tastes I greatly admire, so I did feel a little guilty about not getting past Chapter Three. Perhaps it is time for another try.

Jane the Booklady said...

I have always promised myself that I will read Trollope. Somehow I missed studying him at uni. Perhaps this will be the year? Your enthusiasm has tempted me!

Sam I Am...... said...

I've heard of him but never read him. I will plan on it now....another book(s) added to the "never-ending" book list! LOL! Thank you and I wish you the best of the New Year!

Ana said...

Hi Terra,
You make reading sound like so much fun. I have never been much of a reader, unlike my hubby and daughter. I really should make it this year's resolution to read more. Hubby has given me several wonderful books, like the collection of Jane Austin's books. You have inspired me. Thank you for stopping by my blog and for your kind comment. Happy New Year.

Hugs,
❤️Ana

NanaNor's said...

Happy New Year Terra! I haven't seen a book blog hop before and I'm not familiar with the books or author you shared. Glad you are participating!
Hugs,
Noreen

Elizabeth said...

I participated in The First Book of The Year too.

How did I miss you. I am glad I found your blog now.

Happy Reading!!

I had a word, but have been bad at using it. My word is: NO. A bit negative for me, so that's why I am having trouble using it, but I need to. YES causes a lot of stress. :)

Have a great day.


Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Blog